Sunday, September 8, 2013

How Can You Provide Meaningful Feedback to Your Peers?

Peer editing is a very useful tool in any stage of the education system. Unfortunatly, it is also often feared and not done properly. Students of all ages should learn proper peer editing techniques, such as those stated in the video What is Peer Editing?. This video simply explains the simple steps neccesary for peer editing. This video, along with the powerpoint Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial , show the steps to properly peer edit in a very basic fashion. They state the steps with a basic expanation. This is very useful for students that need a basic explanation, especially older students.

But what about students that need clear examples? Many younger students, and even older students, need to see what not to do. That is where the video Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes is useful. This video shows young students helping each other review their writing. The children each make a major peer editing mistake. The video also shows the effect bad peer editing has on the other student(s). For me, this video is the most useful in learning how to better peer edit.

While peer editing may often seem one sided, that the only student who benefits is the one whose paper was reviewed, this is the complete opposite. The act of reading someone else's paper critically greatly benefits the reader too! When looking for any mistakes, limitations, or execptional writing the reader can see mistakes to avoid or ways to improve his or her own writing. After reading my peers' posts I can see that I need to better explain my points and avoid simple spelling and gramatical mistakes by simply proofreading.

Through these videos and assignments I have learned how important peer editing is. I used to feel that it was a waste, especially if you are paired with someone who does not care or understand. But now I see how beneficial it is for students especially if everyone in the group is dedicated (or even if you are in a bad group work situation).

2 comments:

  1. "They state the steps with a basic expanation." explanation, not expanation And what are those steps? You need to summarize for your readers. Also, I require it.

    Thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa,
    I also thought that peer editing could also not be beneficial because some students only get excited for peer editing because they look at it as there way to talk and not have to listen to the teacher teach that day. I definitely agree with you! You also stated that it is not done properly, and also I agree with you because I did not know how to properly peer edit until this assignment. I really enjoyed reading your blog!

    Autumn Sprouse

    ReplyDelete