Sunday, October 6, 2013

C4K Summary for September

This month I have read some very different posts from different students. They all posted something relevant to their class and age. There were many differences in all of these posts, but there were some very troubling similarities. In every post that I read there were many, many grammatical mistakes.

For example, this week I got the opportunity to read Charles's blog "Silent Brain Teasers". What he wrote about was how in his class he and a partner had to communicate without speaking to one another. This had the potential to be an excellent blog. He briefly mentioned how difficult this task was. However, his message was very difficult to understand due to his sentence structure, or lack there of. I had to read these few sentences multiple times and still was unsure what he was trying to say. It seems that writing is not being taught in schools like it was when I was young.

This theme seems to not only run throughout the C4Ks but also the C4Cs. Why is this? This assignment has shown me how it seems that there is really a lack of emphasis in English grammar in today's schools. This may be because of many different causes but one must ask if computers are behind it. Even on Blogger, if I make a mistake while typing this the computer will let me know. Many students use these tools instead of actually learning the rules. This month I have seen numerous mistakes in the children's blogs. Every week I have to ask if they are not being taught these lessons or if they just don't take the time to proofread.

No comments:

Post a Comment