Sunday, November 10, 2013

C4T#4 Post #1

This week I read an extremely interesting blog by David Wees, titled "Why teach math". This was so interesting because as a student I never understood why I had to learn math. I am an Elementary Education major who wants to teach 1st-3rd grade. Why do I need to know algebra and calculus. David tries to answer this question in his blog. He gives several possible reasons why teaching math is important: showing students a different way to think, problem-solving skills, and to "see the beauty and elegance of mathematics". I agree with these reasons as possible answers.

In response to his post I commented:

This is a very interesting post. I have always wanted to know why I had to learn math. I am currently studying Elementary Education and have absolutly no use for algebra or calculus. This is a very interesting way of answering that question. Having math taught in schools so that students could gain a different understanding of the world seems probable. The one point that I can see as extremely important in math is problem-solving skills. This is always helpful and is found in every grade level's math class. A third advantage to students learning math that you did not mention is simply for them to be well-rounded individuals. I'm not sure this is a real reason, but it was something my school always stressed. This was a very interesting blog post and helped me to be able to finally think of an answer to that question.

I am so glad I had the opportunity to read this blog and finally have an answer to my question!



http://mathgames.4you4free.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment